Subject: [Leica] More on cropping! Flames afire! (and black edges)
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:14:16 -0400

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:33:35 +0000
From: <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Subject: [Leica] More on cropping! Flames afire!

> Oh, so every photo MUST conform to the  2x3 format? I guess I
skipped
>that day in design class . . .
>
> Bob (go ahead and crop) McEowen

Mark Rabiner: If I don't have it and I have to raise the enlarger up
get it; I very often leave the blades on the Saunders easel the way
the were. Continuity is
nice! I'm lazy! Hate to have to put them back where they were again to
get my
black borders. And I love that darn 2x3 format!

Mike Johnston : I'm with Mark.

The conundrum: let's say you are going to print a show of, say, 30
photographs. 28 of them work as full-frame 2x3 proportion images, so
you
print them that way. Two need cropping, which will change the aspect
ratio.

Do you do it? Make 'em stick out like sore thumbs?

I say that's worse than having a little extraneous image information
in
one or two frames. My whole problem with cropping is that if you
decide
to do it, you're equally committed to doing it regularly, to retain
the
consistency Mark's talking about.

Then again, Bob McEowen knows what he's doing too. To each his own.

- - --Mike

Well, if the cropping isn't too extreme (so that the enhanced grain,
reduced sharpness from increased enlargement isn't too apparent), why
not just create a black edge, so that all the prints have a consistent
look?  Faking a black line under the enlarger is easy, looks good,
saves you from headaches.  As Mike noted earlier, look at the black
edge of HCB's Gare St.-Lazare photo.  The neg is cropped, but the
image has a black edge.  Amazing what you can do with a piece of matte
board!

Rob Schneider