Subject: Re: [Leica] (Leica) RE: 35,MF,LF
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:07:52 -0700

Tom Finnegan wrote:

> Jonathan said:>
> > The reason I would like to do LF would be to make platinum contact prints
> > which appear qualitatively different than silver, and have toyed with the
> > idea of getting an 8x10 camera, how I would explain that to my wife I
> > haven't yet figured out. Until now I've been able to justify the purchase
> of
> > new lenses by explaining that it will enable me to take yet better
> pictures
> > of the kids, but an 8x10! how do you handle that one?
> >
> > Jonathan Borden
>
> I have a inexpensive 4x5 field camera that I like to use once in a while,
> and I keep thinking that I would like to try some platinum/palladium
> printing since I don't have an enlarger. However, every time I start
> thinking about doing platinum prints I also start thinking about how nice
> it would be to have an 8x10 camera. After I mull that around in my head a
> bit I start to think it would be even nicer to have an 11x14 camera, and
> just think what kind of great workout I'd get if I was hauling a 20x24
> camera around! Sanity slowly returns once I start looking at the cost of
> cameras, film, holders, lenses, monster tripods etc...I would definately
> have a difficult time justifying the cost considering the small amount of
> use my current 4x5 gets.
>
><Snip>

Seems like you could just scan whatever neg and output it after Photoshopping it
to 8x10 neg, even do separations of some funny sort and do bichromates or
whatever. I've been having fun changing to multichannel mode and making each
channel its own Pantone color! But you can't save it to a Jpeg or a Tiff it's
got to be Photoshop.
Mark Rabiner