Subject: [Leica] "There will be no M7"
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:52:33 +0100

My tuppence worth (English for 2c.)

I'm feeling that Leica may be missing a trick in not renaming it's M
cameras. Sure the M4 only became the M4-2 and later the M4P, but there is
an external market to consider who may feel if there hasn't been a new
number out for a while there hasn't been development of the previous model,
which was inroduced over 15 years ago...
But of course there has.
The M6TTL became a re-ergonomised (?) camera along with a slightly
different size, an M7 would have made life easier for the market, the
engravers, the advertisers as well as giving the purchasers a greater sense
of 'upgrade'.
I'm not for change for the sake of it, far from it, but there are times
when it has real benefits to consider...

Jem

> I've always been against having an M7 out there.  But this sentence (I
> wasn't there) seems like someone died.  I have this image of him saying
this
> in slow motion, reverberating around the room, everyone stunned with jaws
> dropped - the whole thing about a minute long, then back to normal.
> Still, however it sounds it's good.  M6 will become something 'too'
> dissimilar as time goes on.   The ttl is enough. An M7 is fine just
change
> the first letter.

It's not as if they've lined up and shot their research and development
department. They've added TTL a nice touch, I'm sure other nice touches are
in
store. And there are other Leicas still to come. Why rethink perfection?
I'm
sorry I love the camera. I'm sure others will have added contexts as to the
quote.
Mark Rabiner