Subject: [Leica] David Allen Harvey/Cuba/Lenses/Flash
From: CAMRALUGGR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:50:31 EDT

If this post appeared earlier this week, please accept my apologies as there
were a couple of digests in which it should have shown up which were screwed
up in my downloads:

In my first post to the LUG this past January, when Monica was in town to
give her testimony on what brand of cigars Bill prefers ;-)  I recounted
running into Harvey at the National Geographic Explorers Hall and discussing
his then in-progress work in Cuba.  He said that most of his photographs were
made with the use of a 35mm (f/stop not asked) and supplemented with a 28mm
"used as a wide 35" (his words).

With the publication of his photos in the September issue of the magazine,
Nat'l Geographic put on display approx. 30 large prints in Explorers Hall.
In addition, there is a 12 minute film documentary of Harvey working in Cuba,
with his comments as voice-over. At the beginning of the film, there is a
close-up of him taking a photograph with a VERY beat up 50mm Summilux --the
huge dent on the filter ring is painful to see!  The video of him working in
the streets and homes of Havana, using early morning and late afternoon
light, quickly framing the scene, shooting, changing his angle, recomposing
and shooting again is a primer on how to use an M.  On those occasions
(several) when flash was needed, he used a Vivitar 2600  and a Sto-Fen
diffuser with the flash head set at a 45 degree angle.

Harvey is a fairly big guy, so even when he is carrying two Ms and a small
knapsack of film and stuff he doesn't look at all encumbered.  I noticed that
he usually wears a  tailored, multi-pocketed vest, not the bulky Domke or
Banana Republic variety.  Also, he doesn't use filters or hoods on his
lenses!  Go figure!!  More important to the success of his photograhs,
however, is his way of easily establishing a rapport with his subjects that
makes his best work possible.

Maybe the film will appear on MSNBC's Nat'l Geographics Explorer soon.  If
so, don't miss it.

Best regards -- Mike