Subject: RE: NEW LENS OFFERING RE: [Leica] Collapsible 50 summicron
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:32:47 -0400

Hi there Joseph,

Many thanks for the response, I was wondering about the deafening silence
until now.

Please do pass the ideas on: if Cosina would like to do it they can, please
ask them to forward my royalty checks promptly :=)

What I was trying to suggest, though, was for the LEICA company to respond
to the new M competition, with affordable, user-oriented lenses that have
adequate performance for those of us using 400 speed films. Most
documentary/PJ Leica users rarely go below this, even Ektachrome 200 usually
gets pushed a stop. This means that I have 24/2.8 and 35/1.4 asph lenses
that are just a lot higher performing than I need. My Leica 28/2.8 lenses
produce negs that are indistinguishable from my canon 28/2.8 at 5.6, 8, etc.
Of my 50's, my favorite is the last version Canon 1.8 ($125). Can't see any
difference from the current version 'cron. Wide open the old 28 vignettes a
tad.

What I want Leica to do is stop chasing optical performance that matters
zilch to 99.999% of users (film and technique being the limiting factors),
and offer a different kind of relevant, useable performance.

The lenses suggested below would really distinguish Leica from the new,
appropriate-quality Japanese offerings, rather than compete with them, and
would also be low cost enough that actual photographers could buy them new.

How about bundling a "PJ kit" of resurrected 35 non-asph cron, New
Collapsible 50 'lux, and New Collapsible 90 T-E M, plus M6TTL or M6TTL HM
for (say) $4500-$5000. Not a collectible. A User-oriented kit. Make a run of
say 500 kits, and market them thru' PDN, MPW, Missouri, whatever, where
aspiring young, new Leica users can be easily reached. Comes in a very plain
black Domke satchell with the new ttl flash, and special Leica-logo'd tri-x
canisters. Light, compact, and USER-ORIENTED. All in black. No passport.

A "PJ kit-lite" of M6TTL HM + New Collapsible 50 or M6TTL 35 non-asph 'cron
for (say) $3000; the purchase includes a range of "Option Certificates" to
upgrade to the full kit by, for example  trading back the 50 'cron, and
handing over the cash difference at any time in the next 3 years.

What do you think of that idea FOR LEICA to build on their real strength,
the M series? As the R8 becomes the M5 of the reflexes (and maybe the last),
this could be a real winner, IMHO.

Apologies, as ever, to the majority, for the on-topic post.

Alistair