Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Street Photography debate
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:22:18 -0000

Dan,
I went to art college for three years and studied photography as part of my
course, there were others who studied it solely for the same period. What
they learnt was craft, rather than rules. They were taught technique,
rather than cliches.
When mention is made of so called 'rules of composition', my neck bristles
as this is the didactic impression passed of how to make a 'masterpiece'.
Art is art, it involves emotion and total subjectivity. It is not a science
or a recipe book for a pleasant cake.

I think there is a great deal of chance involved in street photography but
you make your chances better by pursuing your goal and honing your
craft/technique. Also though there are many taken, few are chosen (to
paraphrase a biblical line) and that in itself is a great deal of the
artistic process, the editing.
Give a chimpanzee a pile of pictures and he'd as likely sit on them as
choose one that combines elements which build to a whole.

But the fascinating (liberating) thing is that photography can be so many
things to so many people. It can be snapshots to Mum, identity portraits to
a security guard, newspaper images lost to a dustbin or pinned in a museum,
high art that sells for thousands or a happy amateur's route to social
fulfilment. Maybe I'm sounding to dictatorial but I wish people to see the
freedom that can be theirs if they choose to shake off the shackles of club
photography.

A president in a photo club said to me a few years back, 'But why else
would people enter the exhibition/competition unless they wanted to win the
trophies?' My feelings are that photographers take pictures for any number
of reasons.

Jem