Subject: [Leica] SL MOT black paint
From: Simon Pulman-Jones <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:18:09 -0000

In case this is of interest to anyone...
Ffordes Photographic in England have a black paint SL MOT #1262762 which I
have come _this_ close to buying this morning.  In the end I picked up my
M2 with the Viso III and asked myself what I needed another, heavy, camera
body for.  But I'm still wavering.
I found the following information in the LUG archives.  1262762 is an SL
number from 1970 - regular SL MOT production (mostly black chrome, with a
few silver chrome, totalling 980) started at #1336991 in 1972.  Apparently
there were a few SL MOT's made before 1972, finished in black paint.  It
seems that no-one can put an exact number on the black paint SL MOT's, but
it is likely to be a very small one.
The camera is listed in exc++ condition (which squares with the description
that I was given over the phone)  for 695 UK pounds.  This is definitely
not a steal, but it is probably a fair price for a beautiful, interesting,
very useable and very collectable camera.
Whilst I was trawling the LUG archives I read several eulogies of the SL -
and writing this I am still very tempted ... but I think I will stay with
my M's and Viso.  If anyone is interested in the camera, Ffordes Leica
stock is listed on the web at http://www.ffordes.co.uk/prices/s-leica.htm -
contact details are on the site.
Simon,
London.