Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash question
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:48:20 -0800

Clevenson2@aol.com wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I want to shoot some portraits outdoors (open shade) using  a short telephoto
> (either 135 or 125 Hektor) fairly wide open (f2.5 or f4) to maintain narrow
> depth of field. I also want to use some fill flash. My IIIf will only synch
> at relatively slow shutter speeds. It would appear to not be possible to have
> big apertures and slow shutter speeds with any film that has a reasonable
> ASA. Is there a way around this dilemma that I'm not seeing?
>
> Thanks,
> Corey Levenson
> San Antonio TX

The way around slow sync speeds are bigger more powerful flashes, not the tiny
ones. You need to be able to stop way down so you are not overexposing before
your flash even goes off. I think the opposite is thought of here on the list. A
brighter flash will enable you to do this whether it's an auto flash letting you
blast away at everything at f16 with medium speed films or a manual one like a
Norman or Lumidyne. I like the Norman. A very lightweight head which I hold up
high above me.
Mark Rabiner