Subject: [Leica] R8 for a photo-journalist?
From: thomas boehm <toboehm@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 03:39:31 -0800 (PST)

hello, dear luggers,

with lots of interest i watched the last discussions about the use of the
leica R8 in photojournalism. some pros say, that the R8 (with the supperb
leica-lenses) is an excelent tool - others say, the C... & N...-lines are
much more suitable for modern photojournalism and the R8 is mainly made
for (far too) rich amateurs....

i would be interested in some more experiences of experienced
photojournalists and R8-users - because i'm thinking hard to change from
my N...-system to leica-reflex (i'm prepared for some controversy). i
allready use the leica M6 with the 35/2 (mostly) for about 70 % of my
daily work for my newspaper; plus mainly for tele- and makro-work i use
the F4s (with 80-200/2,8, 100/2,8, 20/2,8). since i'm very pleased with
the image quality (and use) of the leica M6 & lenses, i dream (dream!)
about leica-quality also for tele-work (expensive dream....). my N... &
80-200 are after 10 years of use also a bit worn out and would need repair
or replacement. the new F5 does'nt atract me that much. the use of my M6
occured some kind of leica-addiction (i personaly feel: this addiction
comes along with some snobism ;-) but i can live with that...)

my work does not include sports (with very long teles) - it's the daily
routine beeing close to (or surprised by) the daily news from candids,
accidents, interesting people, society, features for special storys,
culture, concerts or theatre in available light, crime, landscape to some
macro-work (also repros). i usualy like to work deliberate and decent -
but in the competition i have again & again to react very fast in changing
situations (for what i had never real problems also with the non-automated
M6). a motor is a must, but high-end exposure- or focus automation not
that much. as i try to avoid flashes as much as possible, i sometimes need
also flash-illumination.

how i noticed from other Luggers, the R8 can be a nice camera in the right
hands - very easy, comfortable, logic, non-obtrusive and intuitive to use
- - as i understood. thats what i want or expect.

what is quite shocking for me is the price of a leica-reflex equipment -
really no peanuts for my budget: i summ up a R8 body, the 75-180/2,8
(horrible expensive, uhhh!), a 100 macro, a 19 mm, any kind of a second
"low tech", cheaper leica-reflex-body (like a R4) for my personal need
(for lenses i would look for good prices on the second-hand-market). what
i could understand is, that the very high investment could/should be seen
in relation to a long period of use of about 10 to 15 years (and maybe?
the benefit of a certain pleasure of use).

comming to the digital-future: is there anything known about any efforts
of leica also in digital-reflex-bodys (leica allready seems to make a good
job for digital-P&S-cameras as well as for digital-high-end, thinking
about the S1... is there more?). (the use of the leica-lenses on
studio-cameras like the S1 can also be an aspect for me - it is possible,
that i move to other parts of the photo-profession in some years).

what i'm also a little bit affraid off is, that leica-company's (repair-
etc) service for professionals (here in austria) seems to be not as
perfect developed and customer-orientated as at N... or C.... (i e-mailed
a request about leica-reflex-system two weeks ago to leica vienna and
did'nt get answer yet....).

so, you experienced R-users: what can i expect? am i hopelessly lost in
leica-legends dreamland? wake me up, open my eyes, encourage or what you
feel... i'm interested.
(i'm sorry & i know: this request is very long and complex - my ability to
express myself in english is unfortunately restricted).

thomas böhm
imst, austria