Subject: [Leica] OT: Kodak, Jobo's and other anomalies
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:59:01 -0600

Jobos, as far as I can tell from reading this forum, provide continuous
agitation.  This is fine for developing large format negatives and prints, but
adjacency effects that are achieved by intermittent agitation in developing film
can make a lot of difference is producing apparent sharpness in prints made from
small format negatives.  An example is Ilford XP-2.  I exposed two rolls of this
film under identical conditions and with identical subjects on a copy stand.
One roll was developed by the local film processor with continuous agitation,
and the other was developed by me with a home C421 kit and  my trusty Nikor SS
tank with intermittent agitation.  The home processed film had noticeably better
acutance, i.e., edge sharpness, than the roll developed at the local camera
shop.  One of the knocks against the B&W chromogenics has been poorer edge
sharpness as compared to conventional films.

But give me automation in the darkroom.  I hate to tip those damned trays.

Ferrel Anderson