Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summicrons Prices
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:53:41 EST

In a message dated 11/3/99 11:37:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wcaldwell@wmata.com writes:

<< One to two months ago, examples of the 50mm DR Summicron without goggles
were $275 to $400.  Last January of 1999, I purchased a mint-, six element
11817 black for $450.  For what ever reason, resellers perceive a higher
demand at the present and there has been some pricing increases.  Or perhaps
the 50mm Summicron was, until recently, under priced $100 to $150 in
comparison to the pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron.  All of the above is just my
humble opinion as to the recent price increase with some past and perhaps
unrelated facts or happenings woven in as support. >>

In the past couple years there seems to have been a resurgence of interest in
the Leica rangefinder camera.  First-time buyers (whether buying a new or
used body) might be inclined to purchase an older-version 50 as a first lens
to offset some "sticker shock", perhaps inspired by what they've read or been
told (correctly or not) by a salesperson as to the performance of the older
lenses.  Maybe that could be driving the prices up.  In my experience,
finding a chrome Summicron with the front coating in perfect condition is
extremely difficult, and those which are (or have been re-coated and sold as
"mint") command a commensurate price premium.  To me the 11817 is the
"bargain" 50 Summcron from a price standpoint (myself *not* being one of
those who disparage its performance) as it still sells for about 1/2 the
price of a new one and about 2/3 to 3/4 the price of a used
current-optical-version (hood or hoodless models).

DT