Subject: RE: [Leica] Speed matters
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 13:59:58 -0000

Modern
> optical technology has pretty much erased the imaging
> compromises we used to
> have to accept in fast lenses.  I don't think any of use
> would argue that
> the current Summilux 35 ASPH is much of an optical compromise
> as compared to
> the Summicron 35 ASPH.
>
> --Jim
If I can add to Jim's defense of speed...Not only isn't it "much of a
compromise," it isn't a compromise at all. Either is the 75 Summilux, or the
new Summicron 90.

I think a number of people get so hung up on the "size" issue that they
forget that "size doesn't matter." ;-)

All kidding aside, small compact lenses are wonderful, and that's what
Leica's fast lenses are compared to those of any other manufacturer - which
is the size comparison that really counts. Is an M6 with a 35 pre-ASPH
Summicron more "pocketable" than the same camera with an ASPH Summicron or
an ASPH Summilux? Absolutely. But so what. The slightest and weakest amongst
us can wander the world with an M6 with either a 35 ASPH Summilux or 75
Summilux slung over our shoulder and be none the worse for wear - when I was
wearing a waist to neck "turtle shell" brace after my auto accident I was
still carrying my m6 and 35 ASPH 1.4.

What's far more important than the absolute size of the lens is whether the
lens will make it possible for you to get photos you might otherwise not
get. And the answer to that question is a resounding YES. Sure, you can push
your film, lay down on the table, brace yourself with a couple of Leica
books, and shoot at f2.8 at 1/8th of a second - and maybe get what you want.
Or you can shoot with shoot at 1.4 at 1/30th and be much more sure of
getting the shot...or shoot with a slower film and get better resolution in
the finished product.

Once again, its-about-the-pictures, not the size of the lens. We no longer
have to compromise in order to use fast lenses. We do, however, have to
compromise in order to use the smallest, lightest lenses. And that's a
compromise I certainly don't care to make if I don't have to.

B. D.