Subject: [Leica] The Leica Look: Another thought on a debate we had ages ago
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:42:14 +1100

Several months back, we had a discussion about what attributes of an M
contribute to a unique Leica (or at least, Leica rangefinder) look.

Chandos suggested that the focussing system might contribute;  Eric Welch
and myself (I think) agreed that the ability to compose using the frame
lines (so you could simultaneously see what was in and outside the shot and
recompose accordingly) was more critical.

I've had another thought which I thought I'd throw up, in the fine spirit of
contributions well after the event.

With a telephoto lens (by which I mean, more than 50mm), there is a
compression of depth.  With a wide angle lens (less than 35mm), there is a
curvature of field.  Both, of course, are apparent looking through an SLR
viewfinder.  Neither are apparent when looking through a rangefinder
viewfinder - you are composing (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
essentially on a flat field.  So for example, with a wide angle lens, you
disregard the greater prominence of any close central subject and decreased
prominence of any subject matter at the edge of the frame.  With a
telephoto, you disregard the compression of depth.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Gareth Jolly