Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash question
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 18:29:18 +0000

I've been looking seriously into the Quantum Q-flash.  It has the muscle
to do what Mark mentions below and do it manually, thyristor or TTL.

Last week I had long telephone conversation with gentleman from Quantum
and it was one of the few times I have spoken to rep of anything and
come away feeling they know more than I do about their own products.  I
also looked at it at the Photo show in NY last week.

It is available with SCA300 module now (r6,r7) and apparently they are
testing the SCA3000 module==so useable on M6TTL and R8.  They have nice
accessories set, lots of power (depending on how much battery you are
willing to carry).  I'm looking at a couple of them for
corporate/industrial work to use along with smaller smart strobes so I
can leave the Balcars behind.

 donal

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Clevenson2@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I want to shoot some portraits outdoors (open shade) using  a short telephoto
> > (either 135 or 125 Hektor) fairly wide open (f2.5 or f4) to maintain narrow
> > depth of field. I also want to use some fill flash. My IIIf will only synch
> > at relatively slow shutter speeds. It would appear to not be possible to have
> > big apertures and slow shutter speeds with any film that has a reasonable
> > ASA. Is there a way around this dilemma that I'm not seeing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Corey Levenson
> > San Antonio TX
>
> The way around slow sync speeds are bigger more powerful flashes, not the tiny
> ones. You need to be able to stop way down so you are not overexposing before
> your flash even goes off. I think the opposite is thought of here on the list. A
> brighter flash will enable you to do this whether it's an auto flash letting you
> blast away at everything at f16 with medium speed films or a manual one like a
> Norman or Lumidyne. I like the Norman. A very lightweight head which I hold up
> high above me.
> Mark Rabiner

- --
Donal Philby