Subject: [Leica] RE: OT was: RE: R8 story of the Century? Millenium?
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 13:03:36 -0700

On 5 Nov 99, B. D. Colen wrote, at least in part:

> Roger - If we were talking Lincoln, Nebraska, Bath, Eng., etc., I might
> agree with you...But do you really think ANYTHING will be accomplished by
> wasting time attempting to track down the thief in KL...Come on....Even in
> the "enlightened" US, the cops shrug their shoulders at most reports of
> plain old theft that doesn't involve murder, mayhem, or a big name
> celebrity...

My last on-list comment on this...

I think you may be underestimating KL, B.D. I wouldn't assume,
for a moment, that parts of the U.S. or Bath, England are any
more likely to be shining examples of the rule of law than KL. As
you point out, our unwillingness to investigate and enforce our
laws, IMHO, makes a strong statement of how far the U.S. has
slipped in such matters. To be expected, however, in countries
where property rights are being ignored and violated by their
government under the guise of 'the greater good for the greater
numbers' balony.

Wasn't it neighboring Singapore that publicly lashed an American
kid for some deed that was against their law?

Genug! Ich muss nach golf gehe.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org