Subject: [Leica] Re: 50mm dispute
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 11:05:07 +0000

Mike Johnston wrote:

> been compared against for decades (but not usually zooms) and defines
> "Leica"<<<
>
> Pardon, but this is propaganda. It hasn't been true for at least a
> decade or two. It's a very good lens. That's about all I'd claim.
> Compared to what would be possible today in a true "reference
standard"
> 50mm lens, it's not really close. For one thing, it is way too prone
> flare compared to other existing lenses.

Mike,

Based upon what scientific data-driven consensus have you concluded that

the 50 Summicron R is passé? Can you cite comparison tests?

Just curious.<<<

I didn't say it was "passe," whatever that word would mean when applied
to a lens used for creative photography (I'm looking into buying a 50mm
f/3.5 Elmar made in the 1940s). I said that the claim that it was the
reference standard against which all other 50mm lenses are judged is
propaganda, and that is litertally and precisely true based on the
definition of the word.

I base my opinion on having used it extensively and having also used
perhaps 20 other 50mm lenses by a variety of makers, some in multiple
samples.

If you desire "scientific data-driven consensus," ask Erwin, as that's
his bag, not mine. I do think he'll agree with my conclusion, albeit
perhaps for different reasons. Ask him if Leica could do better today.
The answer is, they unquestionably could.

- --Mike