Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy Cow, 751 Leica items on e-bay
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 06:45:42 +0000

Bill Erfurth wrote:
>I don't follow what goes on at e-bay (the internet
>auction site) but maybe I should.
>
>This morning I went to e-bay and did a search for
>Leica.  The results were unbelieveable...751 leica
>items listed.  That has to be more than most dealers
>carry.

I continue to have the opinion that ebay has become a global junkyard. It
is the best place to dispose of items which otherwise have little or no
value. Wealth creation is the backbone of economic expansion. It is said,
"Put a price tag on ANYTHING!" So old buttons, thimbles, bottles, ceramics,
broken pots and pottery now have a value of their own. Amazing!

I prefer to buy my camera equipment from a few reputable and good dealers
whom I have developed a relationship with over the years. Their prices are
actually not much higher than the average final bids on ebay. I do not
dispute that there have been great buys on ebay but these are likely to be
marketed by people who are few and far apart. It becomes a nightmare when
you land up with a junker which has been misrepresented in the sale. How
come nobody talks about their bad buys?

With my good dealers, I am assured of honest opinions, market prices and a
return policy. This also means that I will sleep better and get overall
better quality equipment in the long run.

Dan K.

                       The pole of power is greasy.