Subject: [Leica] That idiot Johnston again
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 08:40:31 +0000

>>>In Old and Middle English, possession is
indicated by the ending "-es", so that "Marc's book" would have been
"Marces bucu" or somesuch.<<<

Right. Which meant WHAT? Why add "-es"? "Marces" = "Marc his." I don't
believe most linguistic scholars (great ones or not) rely entirely on
textual evidence of early language, since illiteracy was the common
condition and written notation was both rare and entirely
unstandardized.

Of course, I could be wrong. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.
(You should try being wrong some time, Marc; I'm sure it would be a
novel experience for you, and might broaden your horizons. <g!>)

- --Mike