Subject: [Leica] Re: Meets & Greets!
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:54:04 -0700

Wonderful Ted.

As I've always said, you should speak as if you are going to meet, face to
face, the person you are contemplating reaming over the LUG. I have met
roughly fifty LUGgers so far. I'm meeting another (Godfrey DeGiorgi) on
Wednesday for lunch.

I'm hosting a LUG photo day and dinner on the Monterey Peninsula next
Saturday. There will be several LUGgers attending that I have never met before.

Just think about it. After saying to someone "don't be a fool", or "you are
an idiot", or both, then meet them and try to spend the day with them, or
be cordial over dinner...

I have personally stuck my foot in my own mouth a few times. None of us are
immune to taking offense or defense. But sometimes, a tone of voice is read
into a post, which starts the downhill roll. It is not necessary to be
venomous in a response. There's a fine line between becoming the victor
through setting higher standards vs allowing yourself to be dragged yet
deeper into the "I'm right and you are wrong" cesspool.

Folks argue over two things. Facts and opinions. Facts can be proven and
therefore usually have short lived arguments (unless dealing with the
English language,) while opinions can never be congruous and the war will
rage on and on, ever deeper, until...

But would you spew out the same verbiage, face to face? Perhaps, but with
friendly body language. A hand on a shoulder, a pat on the back. Things
which are difficult to transmit over the Internet.

Jim