Subject: Re: [Leica] archives and scanners?
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:35:58 -0800

Personally, I prefer the Polaroid Sprintscan 35 Plus and 4000 scanners
over the Nikon LS2000. I think they do a more consistent job,
particularly with negatives.

The Epson 1200 printer produces B&W photographs indistinguishable from
silver prints at normal viewing distances in my experience. Use a
magnifying glass and you can see the dots, yes, but you'll never see them
with the naked eye. The color output isn't quite as good but it's getting
there.

An interesting amalgam of the hybrid wet lab and digital photograph is
using a film scanner and PhotoShop to produce a digital contact negative
and then printing onto photographic paper. My friend Don Krehbiel has
been experimenting with these techniques and making some awe inspiring
photographs, which can be printed with very little waste paper and no
dodging/burning/etc since you do all of that in the digital creation of
the negative. He has a web page or two devoted to his work on these
techniques which you might find interesting ... his 'site is fabulous
anyway, for any photographer:
 < http://www.slonet.org/~dkrehbie/2photo/digital/outneg/outneg.htm >

Godfrey