Subject: [Leica] Reply to Mark
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:21:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mark,

I agree with you on 98% of what you wrote.  You and I
are on the same page.

Let me make a couple comments in the body of your
post.

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>

Hi Bill!
I guess I'm not agreeing with your basic message on
this
one.
Here are two thoughts on Leica and Herr Cohn.
1. He flew all the way to Chicago to talk to us does
that
sound like a guy all
set to sell out his company contract?
<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe or maybe not.  I would hope that he did more
things while in the US than just attend the LHSA
meeting.  I would have loved to hear him talk.

Mark wrote:
Do you run a sale for Christmas? The holidays are upon
us
and things are going
to move.
<<<<<<<<

I didn't say "run a sale".  Just promote the stuff to
remind people that it is out there.

Mark wrote:
2. Do we really need to get in catalogs like the
Neiman
Marcus and kiss off half
of the profits on a unit? I think those catalogs want
all
your profits.
People will be buying Leicas in the next 2 months from
the
regular distributors.
<<<<<<<

I agree.

Mark wrote:
I think it's a shame when a company appoints a
president
and doesn't give him a
reasonable period of time to effect a real change.
<<<<<<<

I totally agree.

Mark wrote:
I got a
pretty good
impression of him in Chicago somehow.
(He did remind me of a cross between Doctor
Strangelove and
George Hamilton in a
likeable kind of way.)
<<<<<<<

I have never met the man, but I love your description.

Mark wrote:
It was a heck of a trip for him to make to just look
good
and maybe sell some
stock.

Actually it is quite an easy trip...especially if you
are flying Lufthansa or in business class on any of
the major airlines.  Frankfurt to Chicago is about 8
hours.

I doubt if any of the LHSA members bought Leica stock
as a result of his visit.  Their stock is not
generally as easy to buy, here in the US, as say
Microsoft or IBM.

Mark wrote:
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for another
year.
I would try not to being looking at my stock on a deal
like
this every week. I'd
check once a Month. They need some space.
But I am no stock expert.
<<<<<<<

Looking at one's stock once a month for most investors
can be a good idea.  And, that was my point...over the
past 3 months Leica Camera AG stock has dropped 24%
and the trend appears to be continuing that direction.

My problem is, that having seen and worked with these
type of situation before, I see things that Herr Cohn
needs to be doing, but are not being done.  And, some
of the things are so simple and so easy to acomplish
that it makes me wonder what he is thinking.

The one thing that he must do is increase sales.  By
doing this he will acomplish two things.  First of all
he will not have to layoff more people at Solms. And,
second he will reverse the sliding stock price.

Time will tell.

Kind regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com