Subject: Re: [Leica] Big bucks
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:39:47 -0400

25 megs will get you a striking 14x17. With lossless LZW compression
you could probably get a 37 meg file (16x20 RGB at 200 PPI) down to
26-28 megs depending on the image. As a JPEG in the maximuim quality
setting with previews it would be about 4 megs. You could not detect
a difference.

Easily 24 images per CD. Better yet, save huge files 100 megs and
JPEG down to 10 megs or so. You get 60 on a CD.

At $1.49 a disk, I've been saving the whole enchilada: 80 to 100 meg
files with LZW compression. I get about 10 per disk. 14 cents an
image. Try having a dupe made for than much.

Tom

   >But scanning at "just" enough quality to print 8x10's takes, what, 25MB per
>image?  So now you're down to 25 images per cd, or 2,600 CD's. That's $4,800
>in blanks, and at one hour per CD to burn each CD you're looking at almost a
>year of 8-hour days of burning CD's.
>
>That's a bit more significant, and still isn't enough to print 16x20's.
>
>(I have no vested interest here -- I just thought your numbers were wildly
>optimistic.)

Thomas Kachadurian
www.kachadurian.com