Subject: [Leica] At Bat for Leica Solms
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:45:08 EST

Hey folks, Leica is a publically held corporation in business for one
purpose and one purpose only - make money for the share holders. "We" aren't
Leica. We are a bunch of persons who enjoy using the cameras this
corporation manufacturers. And "we" are much better off if we realize that
that corporation doesn't give a rat's rear about "us," except in so far as
we buy its products. --B.D. Colen
- --------------------------
B.D.,

Of course you're right about initial motives of Solms or any business,
including the original Leitz family, going back to Dr. Barnack's days with
Leica. However, you must remember that selling a product and buying it is an
exchange in psychology if a company is to be successful for any appreciable
length of time.

A communication sets in, not because the parties consciously provoke it, but
because it's a natural byproduct of the exchange of information. A
manufacturer can't sell an item if the customer doesn't respond to that
product as a need fulfilled. Therefore a constant dialog begins to develop
between producer and consumer that shapes them both. The process reminds me
of major and even minor league baseball teams. Players aren't like soldiers
who have some deep, irrational allegiance to a nation. But when they're hired
they become part of an organization and an interaction with the fans that pay
to see them perform. A bond develops between players and fans which creates a
common interest that transcends the original mere material relationship. As a
lamenting Brooklyn Dodger fan I can vouch for that fact.

I think that phenomenon applies to Leica users and Leica producers. But if
the organization raises ticket prices out of all proportion to reason, that
bond can disintegrate. I've been reading on the LUG about prices for Leica
plastic lens caps that run between $30 and $50. Even Nikon isn't that avid
for profits from accessories.

Solm probably bases its prices on the number of customers it expects to buy
these items. They are comparatively few. Therefore the price skyrockets.
Leica cameras and lenses are a better buy than these accessories because the
prorating entails greater value. Perhaps Leica should encourage a 3rd party
to make these accessories at a lower price.

You can gather that I'm defending Leica Solms. My bottom line is superior
quality and service and an open line of communication to management.
Consistent superior quality requires a lot of quality control -- which means
people who don't do anything else but test each component. Those folks don't
come cheap. They're working because we, Leica customers, want them to do this
work. We expect mistakes to be corrected even after the product is in our
hands. We're paying for that. Leica has adopted our standards as their own.

My Leica M3 is a homerun.

Best,
Bob