Subject: [Leica] Retailers have some nerve (was Leica has some nerve . . . .)
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:18:12 -0500

In all my years of working in photo and fine wine retailing (glad
that's behind me) I never understood this attitude.  Don't tell me,
"If you only knew. . . ."  Tell me the COST.  What is the dealer cost
of an M6?  An EOS1n? An F5?  I don't have any connections in the
business, otherwise I'd ask them.  If I were to ask at a local camera
store, I'd get, "If you only knew. . . ."

It's no secret that in Massachusetts (where I live) a bottle of wine
that sells wholesale for $10 hits the shelf before discount for $15.
But even then, if you ask most retailers what their cost is, they'll
dance around like they've got to go pee.

If I understand our system correctly, it's honorable to make a profit
on goods sold and services provided.  When I go into a camera store,
grocery store, wine store, etc., I expect that merchandise will not be
GIVEN to me or even sold at cost.  But I also know that in the example
of photo retailers, cameras are not a profit center.  They are like
razors to Gillette: a vehicle to sell blades.  Photo retailers profit
from the sales of film and accessories.  That critical, protective UV
filter is added profit on a camera sale.  An extended warrantee (or
the added value of the Leica Passport), almost pure profit.

So to return to the main point, C'mon, Bill, what is the wholesale
price of a Leica M6 TTL?

Rob Schneider

NO DISCOUNTS