Subject: [Leica] What is "Innovation"
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:02:09 +0100

According to many contributors, Leica has no innovative products, nor
the capacity to be innovative.
But do we really know what "innovation" stands for? My handbook
defines innovation as:
Quote:
The process of crating new products, or new ways of making old
products, so that the creator has an effective monopoly in the market
for as long as it takes others to copy.
In the West innovation is seen mostly as the Big Bang type of
breakthrough. In Japan it is seen much more as an incremental thing
that can turn the smallest change into a dramatic innovation. There
is even an appropriate Oriental saying: " A little thing will will
always be a little thing, but contemplation of a little thing can be
a very big thing indeed."
End Quote.
Well then the question if the leica company is innovative depends on
the perspective. As a big bang view Leica is not and never was
innovative. The M3 was not a big bang product. It was as obsolete
functionally in 1954 as the R8 is now if we have to believe the
current mainstream thinking. Around 1955 many fully featured  SLR
models and the advanced Japanese rangefinders with all kinds of specs
were on the market. If we condemn the R8 because of not having every
feature every camera from the other marques possesses, this is
exactly the same valid proposition for the M3 at its time. It lacked
many features the competition had. And indeed a few years later sales
went down dramatically because of the SLR wave. We may admire the M3,
but economically it was in the same position as the R8 is now.   The
M3 had no motordrive, no automatic exposure, a ridiculously low synch
speed of 1/50, only a limited range of lenses and the viewfinder did
not accept a wide angle lens. The solution of lenses with spectacles
was an ergonomic disaster.
The Nikon Sp was much more feature laden than the M3. But it did not
make it. The SP-M3 pair might be called yesterdays Hexar RF-M6 pair.
But is the RF an innovative camera?. By no means. It is a component
product, with a Copal shutter, an M6 type viewfinder, the motorwinder
form the original Hexar and exposure automation that can be found on
every small point and shoot model. There is nothing of a big bang
idea here.
The only real big bang in photography were the Konica AE and the
Minolta AF. But even these technologies wee already on the market for
a long time. They only migrated them to SLR models. There is no big
bang innovation in photography.
If we look at the incremental view of innovation,then the M6 is as
innovative as the Hexar. Both add incrementally to the product in
order to keep or get marketshare. That Leica adds different features
than does Konica or Voigtlander, is not the issue. Both might grow
incrementally and I am sure Leica is contemplating the little things.
Any camera is a tool, not a product to worship and to talk endlessly
about, thought his might have its charm. We should appraise the
features and possibilities of the M6 as a photographic tool for its
designated type of photography. We do not say the any fourwheel drive
car is not innovative because it does not have sportscar type
suspension. It is a subtle type of fallacy to define a long list of
features collected from the common denominator of all camera models
and then discredit any camera that does not match this list.
I am just reading Isaac Newtons "opticks" and the first sentence reads:
"My design of this book is not to explain the properties of light by
hypotheses, but to propose and prove them by reason and and
experiments. "
If we all could adhere to this statement.

Erwin