Subject: Re: [Leica] Alastair's NOT strange
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:38:32 -0500

The lights in the M6 finder don't bother me at all. I set an exposure
which makes the meter happy, and if it's close to my guesstimate of
what's correct for that particular scene, I go with it. If not, I adjust it
up or down. In any case, I use the M6 meter much as I would a
handheld. Once I take a reading, I forget about the meter. The lights
in the finder can do whatever they want.

The meter in the M6 is highly accurate, but it is, after all, only a
meter and should be used as such. To blindly set the exposure to
make the meter happy is equivalent to using auto exposure. Those
who do this might as well use a Contax G or a Hexar RF (as soon as
it's available). Moreover, if the M6 meter were intended to be used
this way, it would be center-weighted rather than a "fat" spot meter.

I use the M6 to escape the limitations of AE, not to mimic AE. The
built-in meter is nothing more than a convenience.

Furthermore, it's a total waste of time and effort to refer to the meter
for every shot unless the lighting changes.

Richard
http://members.aol.com/hermaion/m6.htm