Subject: [Leica] M6 as meter?!?
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:12:54 +0000

>>>Mike

I am now inspired to bring out my IIIf, orange RF filter (which I hear
is
now a collectible, ahem), and my 50/3.5 Tessar into the streets to snap
some street photography.

What do you use to meter the exposure?

Dan K.<<<

Hi Dan,
See earlier post! I've trained my brain. Flat missed one this evening,
though, although I hit two tough situations dead on. Musta gotten smug.
<s>

Developed three more rolls tonight but the films won't be dry before I
have to turn in. Can't wait to see the contacts tomorrow.

An incident meter set at 1/2 your ISO would work fine. Or, if you have a
spotmeter, quadruple the ISO and meter detailed dark shadow in every
scene--that's the most accurate way to do it, albeit fussy.

Or, just guess'n'bracket.

I hate to suggest such an absurd thing, but an M6 makes a very good
"handheld meter!" I know, that's absurd, but often when trying selected
lenses on old unmetered cameras I'd haul around my M6 to use as a meter!

- --Mike

P.S. For lurkers: Dan provided _PHOTO Techniques_ with one of the
illustrations we used in our "World at f/1" portfolio of Noctilux shots.