Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Wetzlar Solms Canada Portugal....
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:03:34 -0800

> Well, Alistair, I'm biased from my line of work as a classical musician
where
> our tools are also collectors items and knowing and understanding their $
> value is survival in a world where the best tools range from $100,000 to
> $4,000,000. In this case, the fondlers must be multi-millionaires. Not the
> case for cameras.
>
> Photography is not a job for me. Purely fun and enjoyment. I enjoy seeking
> the best tools as well.

Siver-halide based still photography is one of the few fields where
professional-grade equipment does not cost much more than consumer-grade
equipment.  Have you looked at the pricetags of Arriflex, or other
professional motion-picture equipment?   You will quickly see that Leicas,
which cost perhaps merely an order of magnitude more than what a normal lay
person would consider reasonable for a camera, is extremely reasonable in
comparison.

Classical music is one field where patrons has always supported the art,
since the time of Vivaldi and Bach.  There is a long tradition of wealthy
individuals and families supporting a number of artists through direct
financial support, or making expensive musical instruments (in the case of
string instruments) available to them.  The latter is also a tax-effective
programme.  In this era when there are more classical musicians than ever,
with a dwindling audience, the life for musicians is tough, though it had
never been easy.  However, you will noted that some of the best known
orchestras and festivals are very well endowed.  There are probably a few
photographers left who are supported by patrons.

I convinced my 'cellist wife that I really had to buy the Steinway B
semi-concert grand piano, by showing that I could buy a world-class
instrument for a small fraction of what it would have cost to buy a 'cello
of the similar calibre.  :)