Subject: Re: [Leica] classical
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:44:06 -0800

Ken Iisaka wrote:

> > Well, Alistair, I'm biased from my line of work as a classical musician
> where
> > our tools are also collectors items and knowing and understanding their $
> > value is survival in a world where the best tools range from $100,000 to
> > $4,000,000. In this case, the fondlers must be multi-millionaires. Not the
> > case for cameras.
> >
> > Photography is not a job for me. Purely fun and enjoyment. I enjoy seeking
> > the best tools as well.
>
> Siver-halide based still photography is one of the few fields where
> professional-grade equipment does not cost much more than consumer-grade
> equipment.  Have you looked at the pricetags of Arriflex, or other
> professional motion-picture equipment?   You will quickly see that Leicas,
> which cost perhaps merely an order of magnitude more than what a normal lay
> person would consider reasonable for a camera, is extremely reasonable in
> comparison.
>
> Classical music is one field where patrons has always supported the art,
><Snip>

An interesting perspective Ken!
I got the Arriflex catalog a few years back direct from the company. A midline
Arriflex cost about the same as my house at the time. No exaggeration.
I have a background in classical music as well and I know other's on the list
that also do.
I believe you are right the idea of a quality instrument in that world is
something that takes some doing to acquire and then going to this world of
photography it's as if the instrument is free. (my words) you said it better.
...Like getting a whole instrument for the price of a bow.
Mark Rabiner