Subject: [Leica] RE: (Leica) Pros, Leicas, losing market share and WYSIWYG
From: "John Collier" <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:52:47 -0700

Hello I am a newbe to this list and have enjoyed listening in on all the
chatter. I have been following the perennial wysiwyg SLR over rangefinder
debate and would like to offer up some comments. In a SLR you are not seeing
what the image will really look like unless you are shooting wide open. In a
quickly changing scene it is easy to be surprised by what you did not see in
your wide open SLR viewfinder. I prefer the rangefinder as you always "see"
the whole depth of a scene and can easily learn to estimate depth of field
coverage. Now of course when you get close with a rangefinder, it is all to
easy to have parallax error (forgive me for such elementary concepts) rear
its confusing head (or perhaps lack of one). I must confess that I am not a
spectacularly bright fellow and have a tough time switching from rangefinder
to SLR. The momentary black out and enormous clank leaves me a little dazed
and wanting sit down and have a little rest.

John Collier