Subject: RE: [Leica] Pros
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:01:28 -0300

At 05:29 PM 16/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 10:05 AM 11/16/99 +0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>>the majorit of today's pros have been forced by the demands of their jobs to
>>use autoeverything cameras.
>
>Not because of that auto features mind you, with notable exceptions (AF for
>sports), but because their cameras wear out and the new cameras have them.
>
>Eric Welch
>Carlsbad, CA

        EXACTLY!  I used Leica before I started full time with wire services
and  newspapers 15 years ago. Then I had to switch to Nikon to do the job
expected (F3's with big, fast glass and motordrives).

        Well, 15 years later that gear has worn out and needs to be
replaced. Since I no longer need those big lenses and motors as much as I
did, do I buy F5's ... or go to gear that better suits my work these days...
Leica's once again!

        In Canada the F5 and the M6 cost about the same (R6's are cheaper)
and I don't need an F5.

        "Pro's" use the right tool for the job and there is more to
photojournalism then newspaper and wire service photography. Leica happens
to be the best tool for the job I do ... and I keep a couple of used F4's
and SB28's in the cabinet for those once a month jobs that I need them.

regards,
Greg Locke                           locke@straylight.ca
St. John's, Newfoundland.            http://www.straylight.ca/locke
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm