Subject: Re: [Leica] SLR Revolution
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:21:33 -0500

At 08:45 PM 11/17/1999 -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>I didn't say that the Nikon F was the first, the best or the only. I just
>said that it defined the tidal wave. I stand by that statement, and I
>think every photo historian (except perhaps you, of course ;) would
>agree.
>
>Other SLRs were available but frightfully expensive or fairly awful to
>use. I remember the Exactas and the Beseler-Topcons, the Contarex and
>Icarex. The Nikon F defined the professional system 35mm SLR in a way
>that no one else's offerings did. It was over a decade later that other
>folks began to make comparable tools.

Well, first, as I previously have cited, both Keppler and Dechert disagree
with the first part of your statement, and both were professional
photographers using Contax S in the early 1950's.  So, no, there are other
photo historians -- and much better known than am I! -- who disagree with
you, also, as both have stated, in print, that they feel the Contax S
family defined the SLR and ensured the popularity of the concept.

Second, a Contax F cost $109.75 in '56 and had a selenium meter;  the Nikon
F cost $375 in 1959 and lacked a meter, while the Contarex had an admission
price of $499.  In other words, there were a range of SLR's out there by
'59, ranging from the low-priced East German Exakta, Praktica, Contax F's,
and Prakinas, all below $200, to the Canonflex at $300, the Nikon F at
$375, and the Contarex at $499 (though, again, the Contarex was metered and
the Nikon was not).  A Leica M3 cost $270 at this point, more than $100
LESS than the Nikon, while a Contax IIa was only $139, though these were
remainder prices, as the system was being phased out.

The Icarex, of course, is almost a decade in the future at this point, so
let's leave it out of our discussion.

So, why DID the Nikon F boom?  Simply put, the Nikon F was introduced at
the prime time for SLR's (only the East Germans had been selling them
before this) and it offered something no German firm ever considered --
grand support for professionals.  If your Leica or Contarex broke and you
called New York, you'd be greeted with the mystic lodge-words of the
British Car Mechanic ("Gee, I've never heard of THAT happening before!")
and a lot of sympathy.  Send it in, and we'll look at it.  After you pay
for the repairs, it will be six weeks.  Compare this to Nikon:  a pro on a
shoot has his Nikon camera go bad, and he calls Nikon.  They will arrange
for him to borrow a replacement from the nearest stocking camera store.
Want to try our new lenses?  Here, let us lend you one for a week.  24/7
service (at one point, early on, Joel Ehrenreich (sp?) even gave out his
home phone number).

THAT made the difference.  A solid, reliable, camera with a HEFTY price tag
(second highest in the trade!) but with a really solid lens line, backed by
a growing and aggressive support network.  Pros switched in droves, and who
can blame them?  They moved from less expensive systems to Nikon due to the
supportive, warm and understanding attitude of Nikon as much as from the
(unquestioned) quality of the gear.

Remember that fellow who was discussing, a week or two back, how he got
ignored when he tried to look at some Leica gear at a dealer's?  Imagine
that attitude permeating the national agency -- then think of Nikon with a
"how can we help you?"  (Don't forget, Dr Bauer still was the head knocker
at Carl Zeiss, USA, then owned by the American government.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!