Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on M3
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:26:15 -0500

Xavier:

The M3 (and M2?) had a "notch" structure at the bottom of the rangefinder
patch which could be used only with 50mm lenses, I think, to determine depth
of field.  I don't know exactly how it worked but have seen descriptions of
it and find it mostly incomprehensible.  I don't think that it was a success
and was dropped from later models.

My love for the M3 stems from the viewfinder magnification (0.9 I think),
and the quickness and quietness of the shutter.  The M6 shutter release is
much longer because of the meter switch and therefore not as quick to
release as the M3 and IMHO the M3 has a quieter shutter.

I believe that the M3 is the finest rangefinder camera that Leica ever made.

JB