Subject: [Leica] I've done it again....
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:17:00 +0000

Guys, guys, guys.

I'm not trying to start flame wars. (Honestly.)

What I said was: "I don't consider the Leica a pro camera."

The fact is: I don't consider the Leica a pro camera.

Now if you come along and say, "I *DO* consider the Leica a pro camera,"
I'd say:

"Okay."

We'd be disagreeing, that's all. No big deal. I can handle that.

As far as 14% using Leics in the PDN survey, consider PDN's readers:
mostly studio advertising photographers or connected to studio
advertising photography in some way. High-dollar guys. That's why their
figure is high. If you add wedding and portrait photographers (by far
the largest class of photographic professional), the number of
Leica-owning pros would drop to 5% or so (I'm claiming; there is no hard
data that I know of). And I'll bet that very few of those 14% of PDN
readers who say they shoot Leica, shoot Leica as their main or only
camera.

Anyone who says wedding photographers are not professionals has a very
odd definition of professional. "A person who earns a living in a given
occupation." Eh? Not very tough concept.

Professionals aren't very often the best photographers. Conversely, some
of the greatest photographers shoot Leica. Isn't that enough for you?
Why would anybody have to argue that it's a mainstream choice of
professionals when obviously it isn't anywhere close?

- --Mike