Subject: Re: [Leica] AA
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:28:45 -0500

At 05:24 PM 11/18/1999 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>Incidentally, we may need some perspective adjustment here. I'd always
>been told that in the 1930 through the 1950s, ZEISS was the top brand of
>camera for status and prestige--Leica was considered more no-nonsense,
>more workmanlike, less precious, and was preferred by working
>photographers because its shutters never broke and it was more
>affordable. But Zeiss was more the "carriage trade" brand.

Well, first, you are wrong about Adams:  he owned a Leica from the later
1930's on, and taught for years at the Leica School.

And "Zeiss" never made cameras or, to be precise, "Zeiss" has made a
handful of cameras over the years.  "Zeiss Ikon", a completely different
company, made cameras.  There is a connexion, though rather distant:  they
shared a common ownership in the Zeiss Foundation, which owned, and owns,
all of Zeiss, and owned around 45% of Zeiss Ikon.

And, finally, the Contax was regarded as a lot tougher than a Leica.  It
was standard fare for combat and expedition photos:  Capa used Contax and
the '53 Everest Expedition -- which could have had their pick of ANY camera
- -- took Prewar Contax RF's along as their official camera.

Marc

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!