Subject: RE: [Leica] The dustbin of history
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:20:41 -0000

Mike - I suspect that this is a bit of a distortion of Ted's view. If I am
interpreting him correctly - and reading his response against the background
of a zillion Ted Grant posts - he's not saying that studying the past is a
waste of time; nor is he saying that it's pointless to study the work and
lives of great photographers. I believe that what he is saying is "Go take
pictures and stop obsessing about who used what camera when!"

I would suggest, for myself, that two things about Adams REALLY matter - his
vision, which is always the most important thing about any photographer -
and his development, and use of, the zone system. Beyond that? Yes, it's
interesting what 35 he shot with on what day in what year if you're a photo
historian. If you're a shooter, who cares? It doesn't matter I you use
precisely the same camera - as in THE same camera - I ain't gonna be Ansel
Adams. :-)

B. D.