Subject: Re: [Leica] "Wide" Portraits
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:04:28 -0800

Tom Donovan wrote:

>I've been reading John Loengard's "Pictures Under Discuss-
>ion" & on page 86, I quote; "It is natural to turn the camera
>to the vertical when taking pictures of people, but I rarely do
>it.......I decided to make my portraits wide instead of high".
>
>I'm having a tough time visualising which focal length to use;>>>>

Hi Tom,

I think what he means is, he shoots portraits horizontal rather than going
vertical, it doesn't mean he uses a wide angle lens to do this. Although it
could. Many of us shoot horizontal  "environmental portraits" which only
means, we show more of the back ground in illustrating the subjects
profession or working environment.

I've done this with 21mm on occasion,  28 - 35 - 50 mm many times, the key
is not to have the main subject kissing the lens with the "wide" and avoid
the distortion, but still show lots of back ground environment.

>& I don't want to "burn" a lot of film to find out  Now, maybe
>that's the only answer; find out the hard way.>>>>>>

No need to waste film to throw away, there are enough good guys here who
can help with this situation. After you get words of wisdom, then go try
those lenses which you have and see what effect you like best.

Just remember, the wider the lens "the greater the distortion" if the
subject is too close. Now having said that:  There are times when using the
distortion and going wild with it, is very effective.

Also it's a matter of what kind of idiot editor you're working for if he
wants the wild and crazy stuff or good solid normal photojournalism
horizontal type portraits showing the "working environment" of the subject.

I don't doubt you'll get a checker board answer to your question. All of
which will be correct in some fashion, it then comes down to you trying
them and deciding which effect you like best illustrating what you want to
show.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant