Subject: Re: [Leica] Interviews with photogs
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:34:38 -0800

Jim Laurel wrote:

> There is a book called "On the other side of the Camera", by Arnold Crane.
> In it, Crane interviews many photogs, including Robert Dosineau, Ansel
> Adams, Walker Evans, Brassai, Imogen Cunningham, Eugene Smith, May Ray, and
> many more.
>
> Interestingly, HCB refused his requests for an interview.  Crane writes that
> HCB told him something along the lines of: "I don't take pictures any more.
> I will paint you naked.  You will be naked, not me."  Anyway, here's the
> link to the book on Amazon.com.  Unfortunately, no information other than
> order info...  Interesting book, though.  I ran across a copy in an old
> bookstore in Atlanta.

Byron Rakitzis visiting Portland Oregon from San Francisco and I were looking at
that book in Powells Bookstore this early evening.
I don't have too many of these large expensive photo books, a half dozen. But I
want this one. Very well done.
There was a magazine article about it recently somewhere so I was boned up on it.
Tomorrow at Powells at 8 is Annie Leibowitz signing her book. I'm half planning
on being there. Another great book. I'm liking her more.
Mark Rabiner