Subject: Re: [Leica] Kriegsmarine U Boat Contax
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 02:07:58 EST

Hi Marc,

Well, I went searching in the basement and found the catalog.  It was from
the Cornwall auction of October 1990.  There are 4 photos of the camera and
related parts.  The camera is a Contax I in black paint.  The camera takes
photos in stereo while attached to the periscope.  The camera is engraved
with the eagle and swastika over an upper case "M" which would indicate
Kriegsmarine.  The engraved description is Stereo-Kamera II Nr. 3. The serial
number engraved is 76199.  In the photo of the fitted wooden box, you can see
the camera with mounting apparatus, telescope back, and five film cassettes.
Here is the description from the catalog:
(translated from German)
Special equipment consisting of a Contax I (without rangefinder and
viewfinder windows) for the German Navy.  With built in stereo attachment! in
an original gray painted wooden box.  Contents: Normal camera back; Special
camera back with telescopic tube for viewing with a clear glass screen with
scale, replacement ocular; 4 daylight cassettes in 5 original bakelite
holders numbered 1-5.  Extra long measuring device and intermediate mounting
piece.
The description continues in English:
"Our research resulted in the fact that this camera was used in a U Boat to
photograph enemy ships.
This camera was certainly built in a German U Boat and was on or very near
the periscope.
The captain could, after seeing a ship, take a picture with the Stereo-Contax
using the long sight on the special camera back.  The pictures were then used
to identify the ship or needed as a document after it was hit with a torpedo.
An important part of this camera set is an original Carl Zeiss
"Auswerte-Gerate" (evaluating instrument) with which the negatives could be
seen in 3 D and evaluated.  This instrument was also mounted in the
submarine.
Both camera and evaluating instrument bear the German swastika and the "M"
engraving for the German Navy.
According to recent research this is the last known Contax I made!
This is probably the last known example left in the world."
The estimated auction price was DM 10,000.  I don't know what the actual
knocked down price was.

Bill Rosauer