Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Leica on eBay
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:47:15 EST

In a message dated 11/24/99 7:27:56 AM, Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
writes:

>Am I missing the boat on this? If you have a reserve you know the minimum
>
>you'll take.

It's a human psychology thing. People like to bid. If you set your "reserve"
as your minimum bid you almost guarantee NO ACTION. For some reason people
are not willing to bid that first high bid if that's the minimum but they'll
bid the same amount as their top price on a reserve auction bid. As a seller
it's to your advantage to learn how to play the game. Don't fight human
nature.

Based on my somewhat limited e-bay experience -- selling 5-6 items and buying
5-6 items, here's my advice . . .

FOR SELLERS: Include a photo. Write a tempting (but accurate) description.
Set a low minimum. Include a reasonable reserve (a price that truly reflects
the least you're willing to take). Answer all e-mays and try to encourage
those who write you to bid.

FOR BUYERS: Look for ads that do NOT include a photo and that have a poorly
written description. E-mail the seller privately for more information. Know
exactly what you're bidding on. Bid what you're willing to pay but expect to
pay less than if buying from a dealer. You have less recourse if there are
problems and you should be compensated for that risk. If you don't get the
item at "your price," wait. Another similar item will come along in a few
days.

Of the items I have sold, I was absolutely stunned by the price they brought.
Far more than I expected. Buying Leica gear I figure I've saved at least
$1,000 over dealer prices. In other words, I like ebay.

Bob (loves to play the game) McEowen