Subject: [Leica] Zoom completes system
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 19:52:46 -0800

It's been some time since I've posted on the LUG but I wanted to share
this.

I purchased a new 80-200/4 several months ago. I was concerned at first
because it was somewhat of an impulse purchase. I've had my eye on a
180/2.8 for some time. When I went in to purchase the 180 I found a used
80-200/4. Someone had purchased an R outfit and returned everything to the
dealer, so it was "new/used".   I've always liked the 180 focal length,
having owned and used the latest Nikon and Contax. I've never been a fan of
zooms, but things aren't what they once were. The new Leica 80-200/4 is
spectacular.  It performs well wide open throughout the zoom range.
Focusing is smooth as silk. I especially like the fact that the front
element doesn't turn on zooming or focusing, since I mainly shoot color in
my R system and I use a polorizing filter quite often. The only complaint I
have is the 60mm filter size. I have some very nice 62mm filters. I bought
a 60-62 step-up ring, which was vastly overpriced (limited production I was
told) and I've already lost it.

I struggled for quite some time deciding whether to buy a new 180/2.8 or a
used 180/4. I had a 2X. I had ideas to  use it with the 180/2.8 for a
360/5.6. But in reality my old 400/5.6 Telyt performs well for those rare
times when I need a long lens. I ended up trading the 2X in on the 80-200.
I'm saying this because the 80-200 turned out to be a great purchase,
better than I could have imagined. I use it far more than I would have used
a 180. Yes it's a little larger than the 180, but I don't carry my 90/2
Summicron R so my bag weights about the same. The Leica lens is more
expensive than other brands, but I do think that construction justifies
some of the higher price tag. I've briefly used both Canon and Nikon AF
(70)80-200s and neither one impressed me as much as the Leica lens.

My current system is pretty simple. I have an R7, 28/2.8, 50/2, and 80-200
(I never carry the 400). I compliment it with an M6, 21/2.8 ASPH, 35/2 and
50/1.4 (for low light). Throw in my T2 and I have a system that I've wanted
for years; it's boring but functional. I'd like to get a 100/2.8 but for
now I still have a Contax 60/2.8 for occasional Macro work. The Leica
system is relatively compact. I can mix and match depending. The one lens
that made everything complete was the 80-200.

Ninety percent of what I now shoot I scan and print digitally. I still like
Leica glass.

Dave