Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Fact checks -- no Leica or Photo content
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 12:25:18 EST

IMHO, I could not have made the case FOR showing story subjects a copy of a
story any better than this writer did arguing against it.

The full message is quoted below but I'll quote what for me is the nut:

"But NEVER - NEVER - NEVER - should one send a subject or source a story for

"review" . . . Will mistakes be made? Of course. . . . But the potential
damage

to a subject caused by an unintentional error is FAR outweighed by the

potential damage that can be done to the First Amendment by faxing stories

to sources or subjects before the story run. THAT damage can ultimately have

a devesating impact on the lives and freedom of 250 million Americans, not

simply harm a single person.

I'm sorry, I try to be civil on this board but what ARROGANCE!? We journalist
- -- and I do count myself among them -- are so full or ourselves! We forget
that 99 percent of what we write about rarely rises above our paper's
ultimate fate: wrapping fish and lining the bottom of bird cages. We simply
don't do that many "save the world" kinds of stories. So much of what we do
involves ordinary people who, because of us, are experiencing their sole "15
minutes of fame." Don't we owe it to them to get it right? Where we are
significant is as the recorder of history. Fifty years from now people will
look up what we read and expect it to be right. Accuracy checks ensure this.

But the ultimate justification for accuracy checks is that we do not, as this
fella implies, give up any power. We simply consider what the subject has to
say. We listen to his objections. We don't have to change anything. But we
can. Often, the subject is right and we are wrong. We change those errors and
in the process, the world, the first amendment and those 250 million
Americans are served by it.

This is an out-dated, ill-conceived "rule" in journalism. It harms subjects
and it harms us and our reputation. It's little wonder that journalists rate
along with lawyers and used car salesmen in polls.

One last comment: This fella says he worked for the Washington Post and that
at that paper reading a subject a story could be a firing offense. Maybe it's
just embelleshment but in both the book and the movie "All the President's
Men" Washington Post reporters Woodward and Bernstein are depicted as calling
the target of one of their stories (I believe it was John Mitchell) and
reading him their story for his reaction and comment. If when the state of
the union is at stake it's OK to accuracy check, why isn't it OK when dealing
with some ordinary Joe feature story guy?

Geez!

Bob (First, be a mensch) McEowen

P.S. I apologize to the group for this sidetrack discussion into journalism
"ethics." I have nothing more to say on the matter.