Subject: RE: [Leica] Pleasing flower pictures?!?
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 00:51:17 -0500

An image of a flower usually has minimal intrinsic interest. As I
believe Mark Rabiner noted, the real flower is better. That being
said, I do flower pictures occasionally, but the subject is not the
flower as such, it is the impression the flower makes on the mind.
When, for example, you see a particularly nice specimen of a rose,
your mind extracts it from its environment so that you are only aware
of a pattern of tonal values divorced from the very plant which makes
it what it is. To mimic what the mind does, I may use a very narrow
depth of field so that the rose is separated from its background. This
is surely a technical trick, but it is not technique for the sake of
technique. Rather, it is using the camera to produce an image which
represents what is in the mind's eye.

Richard