Subject: RE: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:02:01 -0800

At 11:23 AM 11/28/1999 -0500, Marc James Small wrote:
>This conversation will probably remain on a more civil plain if you resist
>your impulse to put words I never said into my mouth.  And I never said
>that the press has no place in the Court-Room nor, as an advocate of free
>speech, would such a position be remotely near my personal beliefs.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. Did you not make the comment
that you were glad that certain jurisdictions don't allow cameras in the
courtroom? I find allowing reporters, and not photographers, to be highly
subjective, and in fact hypocritical. But I don't expect people outside my
profession to feel the same way. If that offends you, I'm sorry, but that's
how I see it.

I'm reading "The Runaway Jury" by John Grisham right now, and it's leaving
a very interesting impression on me. Have you read it? That and "Inherit
the Wind" says a lot about how courts work. It's not a search for the
truth, but an attempt to manipulate the facts to serve a position - to win.
If keeping cameras out allows them to not worry about how they look, how
does that serve democracy?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

      You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing
things and organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you
and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy. -Elliott Erwitt,
"More Joy of Photography"