Subject: RE: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:01:24 -0000

Search for the truth? In a courtroom? Eric, what planet have you been living
on? Our "justice" system is not set up to find the "truth," but to determine
which side is more convincing. The contest is supposed to start with the
premise that the accused is "not guilty," and the government, or the
plaintiff in a civil case, must convince the jury that the defendant is
guilty - or liable in a civil case. The defendant's attorney is expected to
do anything and everything he or she can - short of committing or suborning
perjury - to convince the jury not that his or her client is "not guilty,"
but that the government or plaintiff has failed to "prove" guilt. It's a
really neat game, not a search for truth. And if one understands the game -
as I know full well you, as a former journalist, do - one understands how
O.J. Simpson got off.

B. D.

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

      You can find pictures anywhere. It's simply a matter of noticing
things and organizing them. You just have to care about what's around you
and have a concern with humanity and the human comedy. -Elliott Erwitt,
"More Joy of Photography"