Subject: Re: [Leica] Weight / Summilux 35mm f/1.4 -- Eric Welch
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:46:08 -0800

Actually, you need brass against aluminum for the focusing helicoid, which
move more smoothly against each other.  Older lenses had aluminum on the
inside half with brass outside.  Newer lenses had the brass inside and
aluminum outside to lighten.  Silver chrome couldn't be plated on the brass,
so they went back to aluminum inside/brass outside for those lenses.  IMHO,
the brass was more resistent to denting.

Tom Schofield