Subject: [Leica] 75mm f1.4 (Gilligan's Island Short Tele M lens)
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 05:58:05 -0500

Ignoring the 1 f-stop and 20% focal length difference would you take the
75mm or 90mm f2 apo-asph lens with you to the proverbial "desert island" ?
Or if you could afford only one of these superb lenses which one would you
pick and why?
With best regards, Andrew Jordan

	--> 75mm
	because beyond that, the compression annoys me a lot.
	I can understand people who think "reach" but it very
	often yields photos that lack dimensionality, "immediacy",
	perhaps out of poor composition or perspective points' control.
	It's an aesthetics related opinion, no dogma here.

	BUT this comes from a photographer to whom 25-28mm
	is "normal", used more often than any other focal length.

	Eventually, LEICA will market a less expensive 75mm,
	perhaps an APO Elmarit f/2.8, hopefully at the price of
	a 90mm Elmarit. It just can't be otherwise, if it is
	real photographers who make the product definition
	decisions in Solms. I'm sure they already have working designs
	but these are very complex decisions.

	I'm 100% convinced the Summilux 75mm f/1.4 M
	is the ULTIMATE Christmas present to any Leica M
	person, would it be on a "from me to me" basis.
	[ P.S.: NOT that the 90mm has no merit, on the contrary.]

	Andre Jean Quintal