Subject: Re: [Leica] More on Color
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:14:18 -0500

This is a little off of Mike's original post, and maybe this has been
covered here.  If you want a good example of the difference between color
and black and white in a photojournalism situation check out the portfolios
of Peter and David Turnley in the "Digital Journalist"
http://dirckhalstead.org/contents.html  Each did an excellent series of work
on the refugees from Kosovo.  Peter worked in color, David in black and
white.  Both photographer's pictures are extremely powerful but for
different reasons.  David's black and white photos have a timeless,
placeless quality.  They are the story of refugees throughout history.
Peter's color pictures have a much more immediate impact.  These people look
like they could be from West Virginia!  I don't know which I like better but
it shows that in the right hands either medium can be a powerful
storytelling tool.

Mike D