Subject: [Leica] Old news, good news
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 18:10:37 -0500

Nothing earth-shattering here, I'm just reporting on my use this weekend of two
much-talked about current M lenses, the 35/2 ASPH and the APO 90 ASPH.

The first delivered such great results (again) that I really fear for the future of
my 35/1.4 Aspherical. The Summicron gives fine results in colour!  I was using Fuji
800 negative, processed at a one-hour place. The results were well beyond my
expectations.

The 90, which I've just started using, is a revelation. Having used all previous M
90s, I think Leica has really triumphed with the APO ASPH. What delights me as much
as the image quality is the balance and handling of the lens. While it is virtually
the same in terms of size and weight as its predecessor, I find it balances on the M6
TTL even better. The current 90/2.8 offers scant advantage in terms of handling. For
a fast tele, the APO ASPH does not seem oversized, especially when one recalls the
90/2 M lenses of yore, which were absolute wart hogs!

Unlike criticisms some make about the current 21, 35 and 50 mm lenses, Leica here has
given us optical superiority together with improved ergonomics and size too. The
focus ring seems slightly stiff, but also seemed to loosen a bit over the weekend.
Focus throw is no problem, although I too worry about the short-ish shade.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal