Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 75mm f1.4
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:25:21 -0800

LUG mom aka Tina Manley wrote:
> I've always had more problems focusing the 75 at 1.4 than the Noctilux at
> 1.0.  I was also glad to read that it's not just my eyes or my lens.  I
> even bought a second one just to be sure and, although it's a little
easier
> because it's not as stiff, I still have problems focusing it.  The 75 is
> also just an awkward length and weight for me.  I'd love to be able to use
> it because it should be a great people lens. When it hits, it's great, but
> I get more misses than hits with this lens.

I am glad to hear that even someone like you are having difficulties with
this lens.  The paper-thin depth of field at wide open, even with an M3 or
M6HM requires a shotgun approach.  When the iris is in focus, eyelashes are
not.  My success ratio is... I don't even want to think about it.

I have found that, aside from accurately adjusting the body to the lens, or
vice versa, it helps to focus by moving the camera forward and backwards,
rather than rotating the focussing ring.

I will be getting Tom's Rapidwinder for my M6HM to help with the balance,
also to allow me to concentrate on the viewfinder.  I use my right eye for
viewing, but winding with my right hand thumb takes my finger away from the
shutter button.